Work Permit

Work Permit

Most of the foreign workers need a Work Permit to work in Canada on a temporary basis. There are mainly two types of work permits:

Employer specific Work Permit

An Employer-specific Work Permit allows you to work in Canada as per conditions on your permit like:

  • The name of the specific employer you can only be employed for.
  • The time duration of Work Permit.
  • The location (if applicable).

Before you apply for an Employer-specific Work Permit, your employer has to follow a process to get an approved LMIA.

Open Work Permit

An Open Work Permit is not job-specific and allows you to work for an eligible employer in Canada. An Open Work Permit does not demand an offer of employment or a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from the applicant.
According to IRCC regulations, an Open Work Permit may be applied for by:

  • spouses or common-law partners of temporary foreign workers in a level O, A or B occupation, according to the National Occupation Classification (NOC),
  • the spouses or common-law partners of foreign students engaged in the full-time study and
  • international students who have recently graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution.

The following programs fall under the Open Work Permit category:

  • Temporary Work Permit for spouses and partners
  • Post-graduation Work Permit
  • Temporary Resident Permit
  • World Youth Program Permit
  • Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program Spouse Permit
  • Regular Open Work Permit
  • Bridging Open Work Permit

Bridging Open Work Permit

A special type of open Work Permit that allows you to wait for your permanent residency application results is called Bridging Open Work Permit while you have applied for one of the following programs:

  • Provincial Nomination Programs (PNPs)
  • Federal Skilled Trades Class
  • Canadian Experience Class
  • Caring for Children Class
  • Caring for People with High Medical Needs Class

You can apply for Bridging Open Work Permit if:

  • you are living in Canada.
  • your existing Work Permit is expiring within four months, or your existing Work Permit is still valid.

Owner-operator Work Permit

Owner-operator Work Permit is not a listed category. But it could enable a foreign national (who desire to operate their own business in Canada) to run a business and work in Canada.

There can be two ways to get an Owner-operator Work Permit:

    • Based on LMIA
    • Under the International Mobility Program

CMC Immigration can help you with this process of obtaining Owner-operator Work Permit, following a permanent residency in Canada.

Work Permit inside Canada

Are you currently living in Canada and want to get a Work Permit for you or your partner? Well, there are plenty of foreign nationals who need to get a Work Permit while living inside Canada.

Who can apply for a Work Permit inside Canada?

However, you can apply for a Work Permit from inside Canada if you are:

  • holding a valid temporary resident permit / tourist visa.
  • a candidate who has been graduated in Canada and have a valid study permit.
  • have a spouse, common-law partner or parents who have a valid study or work permit.
  • the candidate who has applied for permanent residence from inside Canada and is waiting on a decision.
  • have claimed for refugee protection.
  • have a temporary residence permit which is valid for at least 6 months.

Work Permit outside Canada

Canada can be a dream destination for many who want to embrace professional development and growth in an effective way. However, Canadian government is offering a great opportunity for foreign nationals who want to get Work Permit and further more could lead to immigrate to Canada permanently. Canadian Employers can help the candidates to get Work Permit by achieving the positive LMIA. More information is provided in LMIA section.


Call Us



#120-8028 128 street, Surrey, BC, V3W 4E9, Canada