With the grandeur of the landscape, Canada is a developed country and is one of the most educated countries in the world. Though it is sparsely populated yet its population is highly urbanized. The country invests about 53% of its GDP on education. It ranks 1st worldwide in a number of adults having tertiary education. Most of the Canadian urbs have a favorable education system that attracts students over the globe to make headway in Canada and study here. During the last two decades, the number of international students enrolling at Canadian post-secondary institutions has progressively increased. More than 300,000 new study permits were issued to post-secondary students in 2021, up from just over 64,000 in 2020. Thus, there was an increase of nearly 375% in total study permits issued in 2021 after a decrease in the total number of permits issued in 2020. International students choose Canada for their post-secondary studies for the following main reasons:
- Canada believes in being a tolerant, non-discriminatory community.
- A safe society and a respectable education system are hallmarks of Canadian education.
- Canada’s best advantage is Study-Work-Immigrate package.
Student Visa inside Canada
Every foreign national who wants to study in Canada needs to get a valid study permit. However, if you are already in Canada with a valid status and want to apply for a study permit then there are certain things which you need to know in this regard.
Requirements for study permit:
- When it comes to requirements, then there are two requirement sets to consider here:
- One set determines your eligibility.
- Other includes the requirements which you need to fulfill while studying in Canada.
To obtain a student visa, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Currently a valid status in Canada.
- Proof of financial support for your education and living in Canada for the period of study.
- If you are in Canada as a visitor and wish to apply for a study permit to attend a designated learning institution (DLI), you may be able to do so from within Canada. As of June 1, 2014, certain foreign nationals may apply for and receive a study permit from within Canada. These include:
- successfully accepted candidates at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada
- minor children studying at primary or secondary level
- exchange or visiting students
- individuals who have completed a short-term course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated institution
Student Visa outside Canada
The very first step you can take in this journey is coming to Canada as an international student since Canada offers you the opportunity to put your dream into reality through the Canadian International Student Visa. If you are married, then your spouse can also apply for a Work Permit with you.
The International Student Program has been divided into four different steps. However, to enclosure clarity, you can keep monitoring your application process progresses. Here is the process to follow:
- Completed IMM 1295 – Application for Study Permit Made Outside of Canada(a PDF form)
- Letter of Acceptance— Student Information for a Study Permit from a designated University
- Your passport in original — photocopy or scan if you apply online
- Proof that you have enough money to pay your tuition fees and living expenses for your first year in Canada
- Photo— digital if you apply online
You may also need:
Note: The international students may work part-time (up to 20 hours a week) without a Work Permit while pursuing their studies in Canada. It allows students to learn about Canada and its culture. It also allows students to work on-campus or off-campus.
Discover effective immigration options for you
After completing Canadian educational credentials, you can become a great candidate to apply for permanent Canadian residence through more than 80 economic immigration class programs opened by the federal and provincial governments. However, Canadian immigration programs keep changing recurrently, therefore, you will be able to choose your immigration option when needed. CMC Immigration facilitates you throughout the process from obtaining the Study Permit to filling your permanent residency application in Canada.