Post Graduate Work Permit

Post Graduate Work Permit

Foreign students who have completed their post-graduation education from Canada can apply for Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). These Work Permits allow international students to stay and work in Canada even after completion of their studies. PGWP is a type of Open Work Permit; it means that it is designed to grant foreign students the freedom to work with any of their preferred employers. Fortunately, LMIA (Labor Market Impact Assessment) is not required for successful candidates to work under this category. This program gives postgraduate students an opportunity to get valuable work experience in Canada and after getting enough work experience, various foreign nationals can also become eligible to get permanent residence in Canada.

Pathways to get permanent residence under this program

Here are various streams which can let you apply for permanent Canadian residence through Post Graduate Work Permit:

  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
  • Federal Skilled Trades (FST)
  • Federal Skilled Worker (FSW)
  • Provincial Nomination Programs (PNPs)
  • Atlantic Immigration Program
  • Rural Northern Immigration Pilot

Eligibility Criteria:

You can be eligible for PGWP if you are:

  • a foreign national who has completed at least 8 months of full-time program in Canada.
  • at least 18 years old.
  • applying for a Post Graduate Work Permit within 180 days of completing your study. (The study program must be completed at any designated learning institution.)

If a student wants to apply for Post Graduate Work Permit, the candidate must have a valid status in Canada at the time of application. If a student’s study visa has been expired, the candidate must apply for a visitor status before applying for Work Permit. However, if someone is applying for PGWP before the expiration of the study permit, the candidate will be able to start working immediately after submitting the application of PGWP.


Call Us



#120-8028 128 street, Surrey, BC, V3W 4E9, Canada