Who can you sponsor for immigration to Canada? - CMC Immigration
604-710-4637 [email protected] 12414 82 Ave Unit 110, Surrey, BC V3W 3E9

Who can you sponsor for immigration to Canada?


Here’s a quick rundown of how you may sponsor your brother, sister, or other family members to immigrate to Canada. Every year, Canada receives about 100,000 immigrants from the family class. Most of these immigrants enter under the Spouses, Partners, and Children category, with a lesser percentage entering through the Parents and Grandparents Sponsor Program (PGP).

The requirements for sponsoring other members of your family are less well-known. However, keep in mind that Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will enable you to sponsor additional family members under some circumstances. Citizens, permanent residents, and anyone registered under Canada’s Indian Act who is 18 years old or older can sponsor their relatives for permanent residency in Canada.

The majority of people sponsor their spouses, partners, Parents and Grandparents Program. You have two more choices for who you can sponsor.

Orphaned sibling, niece, nephew, or grandchild

If you meet all of the following criteria, you can sponsor an orphaned sibling, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild, according to IRCC:

They are your blood-related or adopted relative, both of their parents have died, they are under the age of 18, and they are not married or in a common-law or conjugal relationship. IRCC, on the other hand, states that if any of the following apply, you will not be able to sponsor this family member:

A parent is still living for them. Their parents’ whereabouts are unknown; their parents abandoned them; someone else is caring for them while their parents are still alive, or one or both of their parents are imprisoned or otherwise jailed.

Other family members

You can also sponsor one relative of any age who is linked by blood or adoption, as long as all of the following requirements are met:

The sponsor (i.e., a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person registered under Canada’s Indian Act) does not have a living relative that you could sponsor instead, such as a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, child, parent, grandparent, or orphaned brother/sister/nephew/niece/grandchild. You must include the spouse, partner, or dependent children of the relative you support on the same sponsorship application.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *