How to sponsor partner for immigration to Canada? - CMC Immigration
604-710-4637 [email protected] 12414 82 Ave Unit 110, Surrey, BC V3W 3E9

How to sponsor partner for immigration to Canada?


Here’s how you sponsor a loved one to become a permanent resident of Canada. One of the primary purposes of Canada’s immigration system is to reunite families. Canada does this primarily through its Spousal, Partner, and Child immigration sponsorship category. Every year, Canada expects to receive roughly 80,000 immigrants via this category.

Citizens and permanent residents of Canada may sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner for permanent residency in Canada. Same-sex partnerships are recognized by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Sponsorship eligibility criterion

The following are the requirements for sponsoring a loved one:

  • You must be at least 18 years old to participate.
  • You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or an Indian as defined by the Indian Act of Canada. If you are a Canadian citizen presently residing outside of Canada, you must show IRCC that you plan to dwell in Canada with your partner once they have obtained permanent residency. Permanent residents who wish to sponsor must be residents of Canada when their sponsorship application is submitted.
  • Unless you have a handicap, you must show that you are not getting social assistance.
  • You must demonstrate that you can satisfy your loved one’s financial demands in Canada.

Who can you sponsor?

Individuals that are sponsored must be at least 18 years old and belong to one of the following categories:

  • Spouse: This refers to the fact that you and your partner are legally married.
  • Common-law partner: A common-law partner is someone who has lived with you for at least 12 months but is not legally married to you.
  • Your partner is a conjugal partner if they are not legally married to you, have been in a relationship with you for at least one year, live outside of Canada, and cannot marry you due to a cultural, religious, or legal barrier. Interfaith weddings, for example, are prohibited in your partner’s nation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *