Post Graduate Work Permit

Foreign students who have completed their post-graduation education from Canada can apply for PGWP (Post Graduate Work Permit). These Work Permits are allowing international students to stay and work in Canada even after completion of their studies. These are Open Work Permits; it means that these have designed to grant foreign students the freedom to work with any of their preferred employers. Fortunately, LMIA (Labor Market Impact Assessment) is not required for successful candidates to work under this category. However, this program gives postgraduate students an opportunity to get valuable work experience in Canada. While, after getting enough work experience, various foreign nationals can also become eligible to get permanent residence in Canada.
Pathways to get permanent residence under this program
Here are various streams which can let you apply for permanent Canadian residence through Post Graduate Work Permit:

  1. Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
  2. Federal Skilled Trades (FST)
  3. Federal Skilled Worker (FSW)
  4. Provincial Nomination Programs (PNPs)
  5. Quebec Immigration Programs

Eligibility Criteria:
You can be eligible for this program if you are:

  • a foreign national who have completed studied at least 8 months full-time program in Canada.
  • at least 18 years old.
  • applying for a Post Graduate Work Permit within 180 days of completing your study. (The study program must be completed at any designated learning institution.)

If a student wants to apply for Post Graduate Work Permit, he must have a valid status at the time of applying. If a student’s study visa has been expired, the candidate must apply for a visitor status before applying for Work Permit.  However, if someone is applying for this program before the expiration of the visa, he will be able to start working immediately.

Do you need further assistance? Contact CMC Immigration.